Thursday, January 16, 2014

I have been set FREE! FREE at LAST!

I feel that the Warden has set me FREE!

As I have blogged, I have been through quite a lot of injuries in 2013. First, the hip replacement then in Nov I broke my ankle and 4 days later I had shoulder reconstruction surgery.  It hasn't been easy keeping my mind on the PRIZE, which is Ironman 2015.  (It did help that my friend, Kandi, told me, "You are going to have the strongest mind out there!")   And, isn't that where most of our racing comes from, the Mind?    Yes we train, but it's our mind that got us there and got us through it!  It's easier to listen to your mind to give up!  But, when you train your mind NOT to give up, it gets easier!  You live in the PRESENT moment and get to know your body!

This ISN'T me but if you noticed the tips of the bones are all together.  This is a NORMAL Ankle
This isn't me either but if you look closely you to the right, you will see a perfect line right across the tip.  Yep, that's exactly what I did.

This is me and it's hard to see but it is all fusing back together.  There is still a small space and the doc said it might NEVER grow back all the way, it will just be scar tissue like all the other scar tissue from all my injuries.  It's nice to have a doctor who is a runner.  Even my shoulder surgeon is a cyclist so they understand me.

 When I went to see the doctor on Tuesday, Jan 14, I was a bit nervous.  Starting to think the worse, I had to tell myself, it's all okay the boot is coming off; and vision me outside biking, swimming, walking, without the boot.    And sure enough, my doctor told me I can remove the boot and start all my three favorite things but slowly.  I can't pound or push off the wall in a pool or bench press 400 lbs (that's a funny), but I can swim, I can bike and I can walk.    I will have to take it "easy" for 3 more weeks wearing a beautiful ankle splint, which I am HAPPY to oblige.

So yesterday I woke up so HAPPY!  I felt FREEDOM!  I felt like it couldn't be a better day.   I remember Ticht Nant Hahn saying in one of his teachings.. tell your loved one and anyone who will listen that, "THIS IS A HAPPY MOMENT!"    And, trust me with my smile on my face, the hubby knew it was a happy moment.   I could tell he was a bit nervous for me, like a mother letting go of her child for the 1st day at school, but I got on my bike!  I promised him I would stay on the asphalt and the aqueduct road (which is all relatively flat - I mean I do live in the High Desert of SoCal, is there really anything FLAT around??)


Ready to ride sporting my splint, Hoka shoes, Swirlgear Hoodie and of course, White Lighting.  No road or Tri bike yet because of the clipping in.  White Lighting is always ready to go with gym shoes or clip shoes.


 I felt GREAT.  The wind in my hair, the smell of fresh air.  Boy, I just kept breathing it all in thanking God and being very grateful.  Even breathing in the worlds, "I am Mountain Solid!"  "I am a Flower Fresh!"  "I am grateful!"  It was exhilarating!

Then I turned around  at 6 miles (which I was only going to do 12 easy) and there it was .... The beautiful headwinds I have loathed. 
I found this cool app and yep 15 mph winds.  Which really, I have been through worse.  Today's ride was 14 mph!
 

But this time, there was no loathing.  There was only gratefulness.  I told myself that I can't control the wind so enjoy it!  I told myself that if I was in a race, I would have to keep riding!  I told myself if I keep training in wind, I will pass everyone on race day, if there is wind.  Nothing got to me.  I breathed it all in.  I was FREE!

I came home and did 1 hour of strength, stretch and yoga and then went for a 1.2 mile walk with my baby Boogs

This is my baby Boogs.  He is great to walk with when I can't go a long distance.  So I take him and keep it slow, steady and short!.   



 So, now with my races scheduled for 2014, I am ready!  I also know that I might not be able to do a race, if I'm not ready or might have to change the distance and that's okay!  I'm back! I've been rebuilt, rehabilitated, restored, refreshed, and renewed!

I have to lose some weight I gained over the holidays and being "grounded."  I already started my "clean" diet last week so now with the calories being burn, I should be able to drop back down. 

And for those who are curious of my racing schedule, here it is...

Feb 22-23 = Chinatown Firecracker 30 mile bike ride, next day 10k run
March 2-3 = Desert Tri International distance (it all depends on how my swim comes along - I haven't swam since last March)
April 6 = Grape Stomp Sprint
May 17 = Hits Half Distance = Grand Junction, CO
June 8 = Bonelli Tri
August 25 = Santa Barbara Triathlon
September 13 = Lake Arrowhead Tri
October 3 = 70.3 Silverman = Henderson/Lake Mead
December 7 = Hits Olympic = Palm Springs

This schedule should keep me busy and focused!

 I feel like a child going to Disneyland!
  I'm back, JACK!

Special thanks to my recovery and energy bits!  I know having a good diet helps recovery and I believe these bits (and it's been scientifically proven that recovery bits are anti inflammation bits) have helped. 

Health Benefits of Recovery Bits. 
  • Helps prevent colds and flu
  • Helps speed recovery or prevent most illness
  • Helps build the immune system
  • Helps with detox and cleansing 
  • Helps rebuild RNA and DNA - highest concentration in the world
  • Helps build and cleanse blood
  • Helps prevent hangovers
  • Helps improve digestion and digestive disorders like IBS, Acid Reflux and Chrohns
  • Helps improve elimination
  • Helps restore healthy bacteria and probiotics to gut
  • Helps reduces anemia
  • Helps fight inflammation
  • Helps fight free radicals
  • Helps kill bacteria and viruses
  • Helps remove mercury or other toxins
  • Helps damaged cells and organs like the liver to recover
  • Helps enhances longevity and wellness- considered the fountain of youth
  • Helps introduce oxygen to the body and help prevent many chronic illnesses
  • Helps with rapid recovery from sugery
  • Provides most daily nutritional needs
  • Helps balance body functions - is100% alkaline
  • Raw food, great for vegans or those who hate greens
  • Safe nutrition for anyone of any age, from newborn babies to seniors








1 comment: