Sunday, February 23, 2014

It was a Firecracker Weekend in L.A.!!



It was the Firecracker Challenge Weekend for me.  

I did it.  I completed my first weekend of events since, well a VERY long time.   My last FULL event was 70.3 Boise in June 2012.   Then I did do a few relays (always the swimmer) with the last one in March 2013.   Then came the surgeries, recovery, blah, blah, blah.

I picked this race because I have heard good things about it from my "virtual FB" friends.  Besides the challenging hilly ride I read about, I am a true Gypsy explorer at heart.   I've lived in SoCal now for 6 years and have NEVER been to the City of Los Angeles.   So, I consulted my sponsor, biggest fan and hubby (all in one the same person) and he, of course, said yes.   I registered and booked our hotel for the weekend.  

We got to L.A. Friday night.  Just in time to see this sunset.   A different view than I'm used to yet beautiful nonetheless.

View from our room on the 29th Floor


Saturday morning I woke up so excited.  I felt like a kid going to Disney!  I was racing and in my NEW TEAM TOUGH CHIK cycling Kit and on my NEW Pink Lotus!  I was so ready.  It has been exactly 5 weeks since my boot came off and I have been cleared by both doctors to start Beast Mode!

First thing first!  Breakfast of Champions.  Oatmeal, Ryno Power and Energy Bits!  Done! I was ready!


I rode my bike from the hotel to Chinatown!  Got there a bit early so I was able to really look around and take some pictures.





The Firecrackers!   And, a SWIRLSISTER got to help light them!  How Cool!


My hubby and baby finally showed up before the ride started.  By then, I had talked to quite a few people and started doubting why I chose the 33 mile ride as my first event.  All I kept hearing was how hard it was and blah, blah.   Finally, I found a quiet spot to sit and give myself a pep talk.  I don't need that negative energy.  I am a Tough Chik, Swirl Girl, Bionic Beast!   Just do it!  





The start horn sounded and off I went.  I told my husband that it would take me 3+ hours as I was really unsure about the hills. 

We were not 1 mile into the race when the 1st hill climb began.  Right in front of me one girl fell over.  It was a bit scary with so many riders right on top of each other.  I couldn't wait to break free.  And, break free I did!    I enjoyed every minute of my ride even while I was climbing.  We rode through Griffith Park, Glendale, Burbank.  I saw Forest Lawn Cemetery, Warner Brothers Studio, the L.A. River (haha) and the Silver Lake Reservoir.  Saw Old homes, landscaped lawns and smelled some amazing flowers along the way.    What I didn't like were all the traffic light stops and the busy streets toward the end.

I came through the finish line in 2:32:45.  Yep you read that right.  Way under 3 hours.  I rode a total of 34.67 miles with an elevation gain of 3,192 feet.  Yep, I was stoked.   The rest of the day I had an adrenaline rush that was exhilarating.  

Pat had his friend come down with his niece and brother in law.  They were all at the finish line cheering me on.  Loved it!  Then we loaded up the car, went back to the hotel and was ready to site see.  Pat's friend, A.J. has lived downtown for 7 years so we got to see A LOT! By the way, I LOVE Broadway Street.  Wow, the cultural diversity and old architect and theaters were amazing!

The L.A. Subway.  Mark and Jordyn were heading back to Hollyweird to get ready for the Miley Concert!

Before I got this shot, there were tons of cars, police, etc.. Then we saw the car on the trailer and all the cameras.   Hello!  I know it was someone famous :)


Jewelery District... Diamonds anyone?
 
Pershing Square.. Photo Shoot


Public Restroom

A local Dive Bar with wonderful Mug Shots of Celebrities

Fashion District

Gallery Row

Pat and AJ consulting on which bar to go to.

The Old Rialto Theater turned into Urban Outfitters


Then it was back to the hotel for dinner and rest!

This morning, I have to admit I was a bit sore not only from the bike ride but also for walking miles through L.A. in sandals.  (Hello, stupid rookie mistake!)  So, I opted to run the 5k instead of 10K.  I had a great run and am very glad I changed the distance.  My ankle, hip and knees are thanking me right now as I type this.   So my time was 41:12 for 3.07 miles with an elevation gain of 482 feet.   Not too bad for my 1st run event since 2012.  Not a PR but a fun, site seeing run!

Good Morning L.A.




Entrance to Chinatown

Start Line.  Over 5,000 runners today

View of L.A. during the run.

What!  Dodger Stadium.  Kodak moment!

It's been awhile since I earned one of these! :)

Baby Boy Booger Blue tired from all the excitement of the weekend.  He loves his wagon

Keep Bruce Lee in Chinatown!

All for this!  Bling and t-shirts!


 Although I'm icing my joints this afternoon, I can't wait until next weekend.  My FIRST "I'm Back" Tri!  This is MY YEAR!   Every month from now until November you will see me swimming, biking, and/or running at a race.    Ironman here I come!











2 comments:

  1. Hi Sis, I appreciate your Blogs it inspires me...keep it up! Love you to the moon and back. Ramon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing weekend! A beautiful way to get back into the groove!
    Congratulations Baby! Keep Inspiring! You Rock!
    Love You!

    ReplyDelete